Westside Specialist Allergy Clinic is a specialist clinic providing patch testing for the diagnosis of contact dermatitis.
- Many patients are unaware that they may have a skin allergy.
- Symptoms of a skin allergy include;
- Red rash or bumps
- Dry, cracked and scaly skin
- Swelling, burning or tenderness
- Skin rashes, hand eczema and sensitive skin maybe due to contact allergies.
- Contact dermatitis is defined by an itching and weeping rash which is localized to the area which has been in contact with the allergen. It can develop as late as two to three days following contact with the allergen.
- Common triggers of contact dermatitis are; nickel, chemicals, plants, cosmetics, perfumes and ointments.
- Skin patch testing is the most reliable way of finding contact allergies.
- Patch testing is performed by either a Dermatologist or Allergist/Clinical Immunologist, it involves patches with small volumes of allergens placed on to the back for two days to see if the substances tested result in a reaction.
- If dermatitis is due to an allergy, allergy avoidance can result in cure of the condition.
For more information regarding Skin Allergies please refer to the following links: